One of my favorite people to stalk on the internet is Mandy over at Harper’s Happenings.
Unrelated side note: Harper? ZOMG with the cuteness. Your ovaries will ache when you see her. You have been warned.
Anywho, Mandy posted a recipe for homemade humus that she and her husband whipped up one night and guess what? I got inspired and decided to do my own version! One huge difference was that I eliminated the cilantro all together because cilantro? Is disgusting. But don’t tell Mandy that because she LOVES it and said she can’t be friends with people who don’t like it. And even though
we aren’t technically friends she doesn’t know I exist, I like to pretend, m’kay?
Keep reading for my version.
But Mandy’s version has better pictures.
But mine explains what Tahini is.
And mine tastes a wee bit better. Possibly. Unless you love cilantro.
- 1 can of chick peas/garbonzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic (I buy the pre-minced garlic in a jar so I just eye-balled it)
- 1/3 C of tahini
- 4-5 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil (I think this was a bit too much. Next time I’m going to half it)
- 1/2 TBSP sriracha
- salt and pepper to taste
- modes of transportation to get the humus into your mouth (tortilla chips, pita bread or chips, carrots, sliced bell peppers, etc.)
Before we begin with the instructions, let’s revisit a few items on that list, shall we??
It’s basically sesame seed paste and it looks kinda gross but it’s oh-so-yummy! Another important note about tahini: at Hy-Vee (where I bought it) they keep it with the dressings (Aisle 6!), not with the ethnic food or the organic food where I wasted 15 minutes looking.
This little baby IS in the ethnic food aisle. Just look for the big cock on the red bottle and you will be good to go!
- Dump all of the ingredients into your food processor and blend until your heart is content! I used our Ninja and it was all said and done in under a minute!
- Shovel as much of the hummus, using your choice of vehicle (I like extra salty tortilla chips) into your face-hole as you can.